Monday, 17 June 2013

Writing ... software


Recently, I've had cause to go back to writing software directly - rather than managing teams doing it. 

Aside from the struggle to readjust my concentration levels away from erratic thoughts (it's like reading a book and solving a puzzle at the same time), I've also had to adjust to the pace of this creative process. It reminds be of those Fast Show sketches parodying Nick Park and the Aardman Studios' claymation "... and then I move it... just a tiny amount... and take a picture... before... moving it just a tiny amount... and taking another picture..." and so on. 

I long for the day when I can write code as second nature, as easily as I write this blog post. It's not the language that's hard: that can be fiddley if you're unfamiliar with it, but not insurmountable. The tricky bit is the mindset: breaking down problems into actionable chunks of code that you can then build and stick together into a coherent program that does what you originally intended. I used to be able to do this easily, and I now see how rusty I've become at it. Hopefully, like riding a bike, it will come back to me, but it's a bit of a slog for now. Still, I'm enjoying the creativity again: it's hardly World of Warcraft (it's actually an appointment booking system in Google Script), but it's a good puzzle.

Anyway, enough distraction. From one creative thread to another I go...
Post a Comment