Thursday, 3 January 2013

A route to happiness

Got a piece of frustrating news at work today. Enough to make me leave the office and tend to my own clerical concerns: some banking, some home office tweaks and some paperwork. After thoroughly organizing myself at home, I then got stuck back into some office work (from home, mind). The mantra I adopted that affected the successful re-focusing was "I must find a route to happiness". It seems a bit too profound as I type it, but it dug me out of the hole I felt I was in.

And now, in the evening with a glass of wine, I ponder whether most bad situations are fundamentally met with a sense of disorientation, of momentarily losing sight of the route to happiness. We all deal with disorientation differently, depending on our personality and our circumstances. And perhaps the sense of disorientation manifests itself into our default behavior before we even sense it as such. We just get frustrated or depressed or angry. Or shrug it off, depending on personality and circumstance.

While the cliche of lemons and making lemonade is mildly poetic, it's hardly instructive. Perhaps a better approach is to acknowledge the disorientation, and then resolve to re-orient oneself: to find the route to happiness.

And now I imagine the sound of a slightly exasperated GPS voice saying "recalculating...!". Maybe I need to switch to port.
Post a Comment