Tuesday, 13 June 2006

Interesting perspective on the Blackberry's future

I've never been a Blackberry fan. They seem to lack a personal touch, which I suppose is why corporate IT like them so much.This review (Mobile Tech Review) suggests that they may even be at risk in that area: "Research in Motion have again evolved the BlackBerry. There's no denying that this is a better BlackBerry than yesterday's, even with the dreadful construction quality. I'm going to assume that the next BlackBerry will rectify that backward step. I am fearful for research in motion and their future though, I don't think that they are evolving fast enough; I think this is a good product but it is a year old already.

In the enterprise market the BlackBerry still has a solid and faithful following but in the company that I am responsible for I have already replaced BlackBerry with Pocket PC and the reason for that comes down to the exchange server that I run, my Pocket PCs, smartphones and PalmOne Treos can synchronize with exchange directly, they don't need the costly BlackBerry Enterprise Server to help them out. By choosing Pocket PC over BlackBerry I'm just saving money, improving reliability, adding features and cutting out another step that I must provide and support, it's as simple as that.

If you're a BlackBerry die hard you'll like this new model but if you're a pragmatist I think you might conclude that the rest of the world has overtaken the BlackBerry. RIM, we thank you for the Push email; we’ll always remember you for that."
Post a Comment