Wednesday, 22 February 2006

Macs not 100% secure shocker

After much news about the mac vulnerabilities exposed over the last couple of weeks, it's nice to finally find an article (Wired) with a sensible perspective.


Let's face it, these things happen to Windows at least a couple of times a week, and that's not big news. Nor are these issues 'exploits' - merely vulnerabilities, with published remedies. I still don't have to fear malicious VB script files in my email, like Windows users. Nor do I have to worry about dubious pop-ups in my browser, like Windows users. Even if I did manage to foolishly download a dodgy file, the chances are it would be a .exe file, which OSX can't run.


So, Mac vulnerabilities a big deal? In themselves, no. In the fact that macs are vulnerable? No - of course they are. In the fact that security people deem them worthy of examination? Yes, it finally means that people are taking them seriously.

Post a Comment